ASRCM
  Welcome to ASRCM's Forum!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister Windy Weather Milford 102 Cam  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Slow learner to Fly RC (Read 4975 times)
gwc
YaBB Newbies

ASRCM Forum User

Waverley
Slow learner to Fly RC
Oct 14th, 2016 at 12:54pm

I recently went on the "RC Canada" forum & asked for suggestions to help me with my poor & slow F/C flying abilities.

Al is an excellent instructor. He is very encouraging & says to keep at it. I won't try FPV just yet, but I will use the simulator more. I will get a different airplane this winter in FL & I look forward to flying indoors in Nov & Dec.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
This was my post...

After 50+ dual lessons with 2 different & very experienced RC instructors, I have not soloed yet. Lately I have done t/o's & ldg's with much difficulty. My A/C is an Apprentice with the safe mode receiver replaced with a normal receiver. I'm 73 years old & I flew Airliners for 40 years. I still have my Airline Pilots License & fly light A/C.
Recently we increased the expo. I understand expo...but I doubt it's usefulness for a student. I can't believe how much difficulty I'm having. More lessons??
Any suggestions.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

These are some of the comments.

Most us weren't pilots first before RC. When we learned we wired our brains for LOS.
Have you ever considered trying RC from the FPV perspective?
You might find it more natural and enjoyable.
>>>>>>>>>
HI Gerald;

I have flown RC for over 40 years plus but made my career flying full size as you did. Converting your flying knowledge into RC is not quite as simple as you think.

First you have to let go of a lot of the full size concepts. We cant safely approach at 1.3Vs and the controls reverse when flying toward yourself for example. All stuff you can understand but translating it into reactions is not easily learned. I am sure you have had some good instructors but for me the issue is always practice and more practice. There are times when I cannot fly much and during those times I stay up to speed on realflight. You did not mention if you have or use one but my suggestion would be to practice on a good flight simulator often. They are quite good and you can fly even if the weather outside is terrible. The other benefit is that you can fly a host of different airplanes in one evening.

This is a fun hobby and I am sure with time and some more practice it will all gel for you. Keep at it!
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
First of all, congratulations to 50 flights and the plane is still flying.
I recommend getting a plane with a lighter wing loading and larger in size.
And you are right, landings are important and you need to practice them.
And the instructor is right, some expo will help but too much isn't good either.

I'm quite sure that after flying for forty years, I wouldn't enjoy flying an Apprentice either
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Please keep at it, and dont hesitate to share your frustrations with your instructors. As you made your living in full scale aviation...you realize that not all students progress at the same rate. You also know that some dont make it in the program. Since this is just a hobby, I hope that you dont stress over your slow learning curve. Keep a positive attitude and the simulator idea is a great one. At 73 learning RC and unlearning your full scale skills while you fly RC is a lot on your plate. Good on you, and I hope you continue with training at whatever pace is good for you.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Keep at it - I know a gentleman who had over 20,000 hours as a staff pilot for Boeing. Test pilot, transition training, you name it - he told me RC was the hardest thing he's ever done.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Just to re-inforce as lots of folks have pointed it out.
My brother flies 767s and can not fly a toy Cub!
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I have instructed a couple of older gentlemen in the past and they were successful.   Forget FPV and simulators I really find they do more harm then good.  Yes being a full scale pilot is a negative because you feel this should be easy.   As we become older |hand - eye coordination becomes a issue and also any medications you may be on.  I know I had a issue with a medication, fortunately i was able solve it.   find someone you trust and doesn't try to bullshit you and fly alot.  I promise you will get it.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

IP Logged

Raptor
Private

Halifax
Re: Slow learner to Fly RC
Reply #1 - Oct 14th, 2016 at 1:25pm

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I don't think you are a slow learner ,  you may have some areas to work on, but heck,  you just started and given the amount of flying that you may get in one flying season and that you met up with us half way into the year, I think you are going great .  You still on your first plane ..... and it still flies  .  Roll Eyes Wink

Paul Marsh

IP Logged

FLC astroflyer
Private

MULLIGAN driver

Milford, N.S.
Reply #2 - Oct 14th, 2016 at 7:00pm

A great comment Paul which echoes much of what I said to Gerry in an email this week.  When I first flew with Gerry, it was second or third time out he was taking off fine and flying around quite well.  Landings have been a challenge, but then landings were a challenge for each of us learning. Much of that challenge I attribute to his apprentice having been repaired and it's displaying some quirky characteristics especially in right hands turns. Those times when we've been able to get lined up the landings were quite nice.  Patience Gerry, you'll get there.

OLDEST AL the walking spellchecker

IP Logged

Ben Lann

ASRCM Forum User

New Glasgow, NS
Reply #3 - Oct 17th, 2016 at 2:11pm

I was flying when I was 7-8 years old and doing loops, rolls, etc. and never mastered landing a glow aircraft.  This was mostly due to the fear of a spinning prop/aircraft coming at me and the possibility of crashing and my father's reaction to harming his winter long creation (even if it was my trainer) Smiley

I eventually switched to electric gliders and had a lot more fun.  I was able to land and hand launch when I got a little older.  So that is an option.  The Radian is a good starter glider.

I got out of the hobby in my early teens.  Now, 20 years later at 35 years old I compete in IMAC flying 50cc almost 8 foot wingspan aircraft.

It's a process.  Don't get discouraged.  Everyone learns at different speeds.

http://www.facebook.com/ben.lann  
IP Logged

Ben Lann

ASRCM Forum User

New Glasgow, NS
Reply #4 - Oct 17th, 2016 at 2:12pm

Oh and I am a firm believer in simulators.  I had the very first when I was a kid and still have one. Usually the "older" fliers poo poo them  Grin

IP Logged

SandyM
God Member

Dartmouth
Reply #5 - Oct 17th, 2016 at 4:05pm

This is my 40th summer flying RC, and as some of these guys can attest, landing has always been my weak spot (shup Ben)(you too Al)  Grin
This summer I finally (!) discovered I can land better if I land faster. Every one else knew it, just took a while. Full scale relates to RC only to tell you what the controls should do... a little explanation can be dispensed with. Get a trainer that flies true, then practise, practise, and practise. You have one of the best instructors in Al, so bore him silly.
Forget the "stuff", make each and every flight a series of approaches. When an approach looks good, get out of the way and let the plane land...you'll get it

IP Logged

Darklord
YaBB Newbies

Reply #6 - Oct 18th, 2016 at 4:14pm

Landings have always been a pain,try to land too slow is my curse.Can't keep the speed up,tip stalls and falling out of the sky on a regular bases.But keep at it,it will come!Maybe a funcub would be an idea,slow flyer no bad habits.Also tough!!Fpv might be a though with your back ground might find it easier?Anyway don't give up!!

IP Logged

Ben Lann

ASRCM Forum User

New Glasgow, NS
Reply #7 - Oct 19th, 2016 at 8:34pm

SandyM wrote on Oct 17th, 2016 at 4:05pm:
This is my 40th summer flying RC, and as some of these guys can attest, landing has always been my weak spot (shup Ben)(you too Al)  Grin
This summer I finally (!) discovered I can land better if I land faster. Every one else knew it, just took a while. Full scale relates to RC only to tell you what the controls should do... a little explanation can be dispensed with. Get a trainer that flies true, then practise, practise, and practise. You have one of the best instructors in Al, so bore him silly.
Forget the "stuff", make each and every flight a series of approaches. When an approach looks good, get out of the way and let the plane land...you'll get it

I used to own a small E-flite Ultimate Bipe that was a dream to land.  No bad habits at all, practically landed itself.  Just chopped the throttle on approach and glided right in. I ended up selling to Shawn Maloney, he may still have it.

But I have also had others that you needed to fly all the way to the ground.  Warbirds are particularly fun on landings, right Sandy   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print